Monday, January 03, 2005

the earth melts

"You have made us for Yourself, Oh God, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in you." Augustine

The tsunami disaster on the suspended hospital televisions doubled my theological questions of the hour. "He lifts his voice, the earth melts... Psalm 46

God doesn't cause, we always say, yet there are definitive points toward that in the Bible. However, I can't blame; the natural laws are set, and we abide, and the Bible points more toward an overwhelming love. "A present help in time of trouble." I know that the heart of Christ lifts, heals, and knocks. If one is open, they hear the words, "I am gentle and humble in heart. Come to me and I will give you rest," moreso than the Old Testament words which are typically directed toward those who relentlessly disobey and cause evil upon others.

But the wave pummeled the innocent. It's very sad. A US Today paper showed bodies floating with debris in a wide swath of stagnation.

I kept thinking that if my dad died, that it would be a very crowded waiting room in the afterlife holding pen. The faith seems ridiculous, however, when you think of 150,001 people waiting to be judged. It's difficult to think about, difficult to swallow. It's like victims should automatically be baptized and accepted by the light. If there is even a light we wonder in times like this. The television shows us just the simple fact of victims rotting in a tropical sun -- forget the worldview of Christians which extend hopefully beyond what is and what is being photographed.

Yet I've committed myself to a faith picture and even though I can't imagine much, I do know and appreciate "presence", even a small -p- version of it when it can't be feeled, when it doesn't even have a name, when it slinks about silently.

I'm reading this morning about reciprocal action. What we choose to believe opens our view and experience: Return to me, and I will return to you; Come near to God, and he will come near to you; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him. It's all about opening mind and heart as a beckon to the Presence who promises to make Itself known.

I want to go to Asia and help. I'm jealous of those who can. Yet I send a few dollars that way and try to realize that love is never contained.

May his presence be sought and allowed in this area. Please help those who suffer. Send those who love in safety. Amen

No comments: