Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I just went to see "Prairie Home Companion" with a couple of friends. We went to the cozy theater in town with the couches and wine, if you choose, where one sees lots of leftie looking older couples, perhaps University workers or teachers.

I was excited to see the movie because nothing soothes my mind more than slipping a Garrison Keillor recorded show in the dvd player and sitting back to just listen and breathe, listen to breathe, until I'm laughing with the breath and happy to be part of this messed up comical group of humans while we're here together before death and judgment.

Anyway, in the movie, the music was great ~~ old timey, interspersed with songs of faith in Jesus. The dialogue was decent in parts; the theme of death interjected into the light moments of laughter. There were some multi-layered things happening in the storyline which held interest.

But, I don't know, I wasn't swept away; it didn't strike at me on a personal level the way that I hoped. Should all movies do that to be called a success to oneself? So often we place that into movies because movies are supposedly a zone of transference, where we become changed, where we realize that we've been moved emotionally/intellectually/spiritually into a new realm. Ah sad to say (or perhaps it's a sign of progression?) that's not happening too much to me anymore. Many movies seem to be like an artificial room to me. They are full of scenes that aren't held together by strong enough walls. Full of people who are just strangers recreating play. It's just if I go to a movie, I want to enter in and find something that speaks truth (and the next movie slated then would be "An Inconvenient Truth":) to me of something greater at work, although PHC had some elements of this.

Searching for truth in a movie is often fraught with grass-lined holes anyway. There's just variations at work that don't necessarily reflect where my search for truth has gone and is still going. We'll see .. it's just an interesting (to me) discovery to not be swept in like I used to be.

My friends really enjoyed the movie, though!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry it wasn't all you hoped. On a less relevant note, that's my favorite theater ever!

Fieldfleur said...

Thanks, Jennifer. In retrospect the movie was better as I thought about what "perhaps" the director was trying to do.
Yes, I love the theater! I wonder when the expansion is?