Friday, April 15, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

I just saw the movie "Hotel Rwanda" which brought to light the plight of the people involved in the conflict between the Hutus and the Tutsis. It's hard to watch. It's hard to believe that over a million people died, and prosperous nations allowed it to happen despite warnings. The U.S. itself could not readily call the genocide by its name of genocide, because of the cost involved in stopping it (check out more information at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/evil/etc/slaughter.html). When I hear about these things, I become angry. Angry at our nation for being so self-protective. Angry at myself for living a life which doesn't effect much change in these areas. Angry at Christians for not living the faith in an outward manner but instead mostly in a self-obsessed, self-defining way (from what I see around me ~~ and in myself). Angry at evil triumphing in such an onslaught at times. Angry at good being careful and indifferent. I become passive about the present conflicts and hungry for heaven. I bury my head in the future tense where I'll be taken care of and ignore the cries of today. This is one of my deepest inner conflicts. I want to do something to help now, but the path to doing this seems so blocked. I know that this is illusionary. Father, I pray that I find a way out of this trap of doing nothing when something could be done for similar problems caused by poverty and conflict.

No comments: