Thursday, July 07, 2016

Glossy anti-programming

I remember when my young daughter's new doll gave her an insight of searing truth: "Mom, this doll doesn't do all the commercial says it does!"

Yesterday at work, my intern who is enrolled in a government summer jobs program, reported that she still hadn't been approved for work, after 11 weeks of submitting paper work and waiting on them to "process."

She had done everything right. Even being on the autism spectrum, she had self-advocated to her limits even as a young person.

I still had the government jobs program's glossy fliers on my desk. Need a job? Want pay? Have a barrier of sorts? We can help!

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's the false marketing pretense of doing something for those on the autism spectrum. We experienced this on a college visit to a campus in Arkansas -- beautiful descriptive web site page, brochures, program outline. Yet upon arriving, we found out how few it served, and I personally heard insensitive remarks from the program coordinator in the presence of my son.

Well, I got on the phone yesterday, on a pursuit. I heard excuses from a higher up. But, I did not confront her and agreed to wait while she talked to the right person.

My intern only has a few weeks to now work since the government program has forced her to wait and waylay other summer funds she could have earned. They effected the opposite of what they purported in their glossy brochure -- they contributed to lack of financial independence and work.

A good lesson for those who are trying to help. Programming is difficult; words are easier. Be authentic stewards as much as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found the blog some what interesting in its content wise and easier to understand what they had said. I love if you publish the blogs often.
Pawn Shops
Pawn Shops in Alabama
Pawn Brokers
Pawn Loans
Pawn Loans in Alabama
Pawn Shops near me