Sunday, February 25, 2007


It's quite bizarre to me.


As American Christians, we can talk about the suffering that we don't cause, such as the AIDS epidemic in Africa; or the lack of good clean water in the Sahara; or the lack of food and work in some parts of El Salvadore; or the tsunami rebuilding in Indonesia. My recent Samaritan's Purse Prayer Point magazine showcased such the world in need. I read it and felt sorrow for the unfortunate and gladness at the offering of hope through Christ which is given through necessary outreach work. Some of which I donate money towards.

Yet, I'm confused about our noncommittal quietness concerning Iraq where today a female suicide bomber blew herself up, along with 40 other people, mainly students, at a university. Between 34 and 52 thousand Iraqi civilians have died since we began the removal of Saddam Hussein with the replacement of democracy. The Christian groups I belong to rarely speak of these citizens. There just seems to be a resignation to the fact that if you're caught in the crossfires of a war, it's unfortunate. An unfortunate price one might have to pay for being under such a dictator, or being born in a land with extreme cultural ancient tensions between the different religious groups there. My parents would probably justify it by saying that God is reaping judgment upon these people for their sins.

I guess that means everyone that suffers in the Samaritan Purse booklet is reaping God's judgment too? Perhaps those children in Liberia who step on a land mine inadvertently deserve it?


I'm quite tired of the resignation or the judgment. And, as a Christian, I'm extremely concerned for the people who are dying in the pot that we've also boiled.

What should I do, God?


No comments: